LIVunLtd clients are invited to cook up holiday weekend favorites at home with Katzie Guy-Hamilton, Nationally recognized pastry chef and creative who has made appearances on Top Chef: Just Desserts, Martha Stewart Radio, CBS, Food Network, and Bravo TV. In this live demonstration on Wednesday, May 20th, Katzie will teach you how to create three recipes, perfect for Memorial day!
On the menu: Vinegar Brick Chicken, Miso Cashew Street Corn, and a Hazelnut Arugula Salad, which can all be found in her cookbook, Clean Enough: Get Back to Basics and Leave Room for Dessert. PRO TIP: Pasticinni Cookies are typically only available at Il Pelicano in Southern Tuscany, but you can order them HERE and pick up a signed copy of Katzie’s book.
|∙ 2 cast-iron skillets or 1 skillet and 2 bricks wrapped in foil|
∙ 3 pasture-raised chicken, trimmed of fat and backbone removed
∙ 3 garlic cloves
∙ 1 shallot, minced
∙ 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
∙ Salt and Black Pepper
∙ 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
∙ 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
|∙ ¼ cup Sherry Vinegar|
∙ 1 tablespoon of Honey
∙ 1 tablespoon of Dijon
∙ 1 Lemon
∙ Chili Flake
∙ Fresh Cilantro
Preheat oven to 450° F with an oven-proof, cast-iron skillet inside.
1. Flatten your chicken on a chopping board. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Chop garlic and shallot, place some under the skin and the remainder in the nooks and crannies.
3. Sprinkle with the paprika and give it a massage.
4. Place the second cast-iron skillet on the stove and heat (if you don’t have a second one, use two bricks wrapped in foil).
5. Add 2 tablespoon of oil and place the chicken skin side down.
6. Sear for five minutes. Don’t move the chicken during this time!
7. Take the first hot cast iron pan out of the oven and put the chicken into it, and the second pan (or the bricks) on top of the chicken. Place both together in the oven for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the chicken from the oven and flip the chicken over onto a plate quickly.
9. Add vinegar to the pan and whisk, scraping up the bits. Whisk in tomato paste, honey and Dijon.
10. Place the chicken skin side up back in the pan and back into a 450ºF oven for 10 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and baste with pan juices. Grate lemon zest and sprinkle with chili flake and cilantro.
12. Allow the chicken to rest, cut up and serve with lemon wedges.
∙ 1 head cauliflower, trimmed of leaves
∙ Half sheet tray lined with foil
Preheat oven to 450° F and place the cast iron pans and sheet tray in the oven to preheat.
1. Cut cauliflower into thick steaks.
2. Place on aluminum foil, and drizzle with olive oil and massage with minced garlic, salt, pepper, shallot and paprika.
3. Remove the sheet tray from the pan and place another layer of foil on top. Place cast iron pans on top of that to press down.
4. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, tomato paste, Dijon and honey and bring to a quick simmer.
6. Remove cauliflower and weights. Drizzle with vinegar mixture and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
7. Season with cilantro, chili flake and lemon zest.
|Miso Cashew Dressing (makes extra!)|
∙ 1 cup cashews soaked in water for an hour and drained.
∙ 2 ounces of water
∙ ¼ cup Organic Sriracha (I like Yellowbird)
∙ 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
∙ 1 teaspoon toasted Sesame Oil
∙ ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoon lime juice
∙ Knob of fresh ginger
∙ 3 tablespoons of White Miso Paste
∙ 1 teaspoon grated garlic, sliced thin
∙ 4 ears of fresh corn or as many as you need to serve (frozen corn will work!)
∙ 1 Shallot Minced
∙ Lime Zest
∙ Toasted Pumpkin and Sesame Seeds
∙ Cilantro + Scallions
∙ Cojita or Crumbled Feta Cheese
1. In a blender, combine water and soaked cashews and blend on high speed for one minute.
2. Add lime, rooster sauce, garlic, miso, ginger grated garlic, sesame oil and salt.
3. Blend on high speed scraping down for one minute.
4. Rub corn with oil and place under a broiler for ten minutes until crispy (if using frozen corn, spread on a sheet tray and place under broiler).
5. Remove from the oven and spread cashew mixture onto corn.
6. Sprinkle with lime zest, seeds, cilantro and cheese.
|∙ 1 cup cashews soaked in water for an hour and drained.|
∙ 2 ounces of water
∙ 1/3 cup Hazelnuts, skin on Juice
∙ ½ lemon
∙ ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
∙ Pinch of Black Pepper, ground
∙ 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
∙ 4 large handfuls of Arugula (½ a standard-sized container)